I made this cake for for a very special bride to be, a friend of mine since grade school. As one of her bridesmaids it was my job to make sure she had the perfect bridal shower, that means we needed the perfect cake! This bride wanted simple but stunning. This cake was designed as a mini version of the cake to be served at her wedding, pink being her wedding colour. The bottom tier is 6" and the top is 3.5". Inside is a rich chocolate cake with layer of raspberry preserves and creamy chocolate ganache filling.
Here's the recipe:
2 cups all-purpose flour (I recommend unbleached organic if available)
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar (again, organic!)
4 large eggs (free range)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups milk (organic)
1. preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 13" by 9" pan OR three 8" round cake pans OR 36 muffin pans. Line with paper.
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt.
3. In a large bowl mix at low speed butter and sugar. once they are blended beat at high speed until light and fluffy (about 5 mins).
Reduce to medium/low speed and add eggs one at a time. Scrape down sides.
4. Alternate flour mixture and milk into the bowl, beat until smooth.
5. Pour into prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean - about 25-45 depending on the size of the cake.
This cake was a hit at the shower!